Welcome to my blog; inspired by Hemmingway's A Moveable Feast, a desire to record the more succulent and misshapen nuggets of my Parisian adventure in nibble-size lobes for your light-entertainment and my anticipated future memory failure, and to get some things off my chest and onto yours.

Saturday 11 September 2010

Proposals in Paris

Paris is the most romantic city on Earth.  Even the pigeons here are constantly making love; no, not mating, they're making love.  The amount of saliva that is exchanged here in one day through overly-passionate kissing is enough to flood four New Orleans.  According to statisticians* lovers are between 17-24% more considerate and 3% more genuine when stood on Parisian soil.

Perhaps there's something in the hard water, or in the look of the begargoyled Hausmannian architecture which rewires the human psyche.  Whatever it is, that Paris is the most romantic city on Earth is fact, and one whose truth is so unquestionable, it defies explanation or reason.

As a classical guitarist, I don't benefit from many of societies' rewards- money, friends, understanding, etc.-except, perhaps for this one undisputed fact.

Men like to propose to their girlfriends in a manner which they hope will impress (in order of importance) their girlfriend's mum, her friends, her, and if not dead, her gran.  He wants to impress them enough that he is accepted, if not positively welcomed, into their homes at all the relevant occasions.  One way to secure a good impression, is to propose in style.

Combine what I have lengthily extolled in the previous four paragraphs, and you are left with the title of this blog.  That's right, boyfriends, you want to guarantee a 100% yes rate: you come to Paris to do your dirty work.  What's more you do it in front of someone else, ie a hired hand like me, assuming she likes you at all, she is very unlikely to turn you down.

To summarise, I now play proposals.  I've done it twice, so it's something I do rather than just something I have done.  I'd never thought that I'd be able to put that on my CV, but I reckon playing romantic classical guitar music in a suit, and bringing champagne and glasses to a predetermined spot in central Paris is not only the best hope that you have got to win over your girlfriend and disguise all your shortcomings; it's also a great money-spinner for me.

The Pont des Arts pedestrian bridge over the Seine, and site of my first accompaniment of a proposal in Paris.  (Not these two girls, but another couple.)  The padlocks are signed and attatched by lovers who then throw the key into the river.
For more info look and listen here.


*made-up ones

No comments:

Post a Comment