Welcome to my blog; inspired by Hemmingway's A Moveable Feast, a desire to record the more succulent and misshapen nuggets of my Parisian adventure in nibble-size lobes for your light-entertainment and my anticipated future memory failure, and to get some things off my chest and onto yours.

Wednesday 3 March 2010

Zebra Warning

The zebra crossing in Paris is something of a misnoma. First of all it's yellow, and therefore doesn't resemble an African equid in the slightest. As a result, it is simply and unexotically called a passage piƩton. Secondly, it has no function.

You can stand waiting at one eager to cross all day and the traffic will not stop. Apparently, the law here is that traffic is only required to stop when someone is actually walking across the stripes. But faced with a car driving quite fast towards you, it is hard to just shut your eyes and hope.

Take heed and be safe. In Paris the pedestrian crossing does not exist; it's just more road, with yellow bits on.

...they wouldn't have dared it in Paris

2 comments:

  1. I have absolutely no idea who you are but I stumbled upon this blog a couple of hours ago (thank you google) and I love your little anecdotes. Are you still in Paris?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm glad someone is reading this! I'm sorry I only just saw your comment 9 months after you posted it! Yes, I'm still in Paris; but spending more time now on this : crayonslookbetterthantheytaste.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete